Much like last week finding the balance of juggling all the projects is not easy and things aren’t exactly running as smoothly as hoped here’s the low down :-
- Bams – the silicone moulds are finishing off and the wax casts will be put together hopefully by the end of this week – the wax tree hopefully will be in the same boat as it were. im aiming to start the dipping process next week and be done by next week as well – as for burning out the wax and the bronzing process im guessing will be the week after that, meaning over the deadline for BAMS which is a shame but couldn’t be avoided circumstance wise – but the medal will be on display in craft in the bay in march so it’ll still be shown in an exhibition like way.
- Lamp – Maquettes have been made in several materials – I need to speak to pip to ensure the details of the lamp before posting online – material experiments are going well and both project sketchbooks are being kept relatively up to date – The aim is to have the lamp nearing completion by the end of february giving enough time to focus on everything else that will affect the outcome quality wise.
- Constellation/Essay – I’ve spoken to my tutor about my ideas and all previous essays and based on what i am hoping to look into I will be sticking with Martyn as my constellation essay advisor, however this will not be confirmed until the 8th February.
- Faking It – Initial ideas have been discussed with the other members of my team, given the circumstances we are trying to do as much as we can experimentally so constructive feedback will give us the best overall hope of a good quality outcome.
- Work Experience – Despite circumstances the feedback was quite good and I hope to undertake further placements and build up a portfolio of work to present in the end of year show as well as some possible 3d outcomes.
So now the moment has come to decide what our written dissertation of third year before graduation will be about, plus whic dissertation lecturer we will be assigned to based upon what we want to talk about individually and their expertise.
For my essay I am interested in the area of technology and making, in the sense of how technology has changed the perception of art and makes things that seem impossible to make physically easy to do digitally. This was a major reason that artist designer maker appealed to me when choosing courses because of the broad range of materials. And with this quite broad background from my course would open opportunities.
So martyn my chosen lecturer for first and second year is the best lecturer to help me in this area which im really pleased about, and let’s face it he has put up with me for two years so a bit longer shouldn’t hurt to much. However I will not know for definate who I am assigned to till February 8th
Today as the representative of the group I visited the Marriott Hotel to get an idea of the spaces in the location that would be suitable for the ideas that we had at this early stage. There wasn’t much arguing over where everyone wanted to go and we pretty much all settled and agreed with a spot that would benefit the groups individually and as a collective. With some reasonably accurate measurements now all we had to do was decide what the definite look of our piece would be and decide what materials and things like that would need to be taken in to consideration.
Regardless this was the space I believed would work the best for the rough ideas that myself and will had at this point. Also there are new members rumoured to be joining the group so fingers crossed they can join our group and bring their expertise.
Age Cymru is a Cardiff based charity organisation that aims to get those who are unable to get out and about so much for whatever reasons and circumstances these may be.
The Faking it Project I believe is entering its third or fourth year as a project within Cardiff Metropolitan and in collaboration with AGE Cymru we’ve been asked to produce a set along with scenic backgrounds and props when relevant or needed based upon the chosen book picked by our team. And our chosen book was James And The Giant Peach all in aid of marking what would have been Roald Dahl’s 100th Birthday.
With the full number of fellow students in the group not being present from the beginning I buddied up with Will from product Design. Early on before our team meeting with the Committee we decided that from the book the cover page was the idea the peach and the empire state being two important parts of the book and the movie.
Speaking to the committee me and Will shared our ideas, The idea of interaction if possible was taken positively and the idea of the peach and the empire state building went the same, Really the feedback said work on the idea but dont hold onto the image you’re thinking of too tight or you’ll be in trouble and with the visit to the Marriott the following Thursday picking the best spot would be a fight or should I say pitching battle with the even other teams. How that will work out is yet to be seen
The official first day of the faking it experience having spoken to Bethan regarding the project whilst still in first year I was really happy to get this field option and looking forward to what would come from it.
to start things of on a slow pace cos you know that won’t be the case later on we were given the project brief and having assigned ourselves to teams of individuals we didn’t know prior to this, which is difficult because half the group I know and are from my own course Maker. The focus of this project would be on one of the many books by Roald Dahl which would be explained in more detail later today when the charity group arrives.
the chosen books for the project were
- James And The Giant Peach
- Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
- The Witches
- Fantastic Mr Fox
- George’s Marvellous Medicine
- Danny The Champion Of The World
as well as meeting the committee of AGE Cymru there are two workshops that will be of use to use all as a field group these being
3D MakerBot – Joe Venables
Laser Cutter – Maff Harries
having only used these once last year a refresh on both is absolutely necessary like practically everything at the moment so fingers crossed I can catch up.
With a Deadline of three weeks as of Tomorrow for the end of the first week of february for the medal things are heating up, Currently I am halfway through the parts needed for the medal and the tree and my aim is to have them done by wednesday of this week and have the first layers of the liquid on them, however i have used to much wax and the worry is that if i can’t get all the structure of the tree and the layers of liquid on ive failed the year which im sure I haven’t but is a concern to bear in mind nevertheless. Also due to workshops being used inconsistently access isn’t always possible so all hands on deck seems a suitable approach to have. I do want to stand a chance of being entered but failing that I understand that it’s a lot of pressure and having experienced that a lot in first year i feel more prepared and realistically I fear im making more work in my head than their is to actually do. Time will tell on that I suppose.