For the past few days ive been reading through some books that I found through Summon and recommended by Martyn my constellation and dissertation tutor. At the moment find a question for the dissertation topic is difficult as the question practically is the entire essay condensed into one long question which isn’t exactly what I was hoping to happen as this makes me worry about writing the essay.
The basis of my essay was to examine the Material of Glass in the context of the theories of Juhanni Pallasmaa and Tim Ingold and a few others from outside of the constellation lectures. With the theories of these practitioners being on the physical hand making processes it would be a good idea to challenge them on the basis of how technology can prove and disprove their theories as well as show why technology can make and break us through the use of glass and evidence of experimental practice to link to the object that is half of the focus of the dissertation that is equally judged with the dissertation towards my final grade at the end of third year in Maker.I look forward to starting this process and although im coming to the end of my time on Maker im looking forward to the future possibilities that await.
For the make your mark project ive been asked along with visual data in the form of blog and sketchwork as examples to produce a series of outcomes that relate to my interests and individualities in the making process. At this stage im pretty sure im not the only one that is struggling to figure out what I actually want to make and what materials I want to choose.
At the moment and this is a worrying thing im enjoying making and getting involved with the actual outcomes and trial and errors coming forward but i feel im lagging behind and not wanting to produce anything because I cant find what I enjoy making easily and more to the point why this is a sellling object and uniqueness it has to the market. As someone who has confidence issues im sure this will get better in time but its one of those things that one side of the situation will always dominate judgement.
However ive made a start at some mindmaps and moodboards of objects that I like and artists that’s work I find inspiring and as someone who doesn’t like drawing because im not a confident drawer I hope this will help me push forward in this area and show how ive changed from the way I worked in first year and how this can also evolve in third year. Entering into third term things are hectic but some projects are slowly coming to their endpoint and hopefully I will have a reasonable amount of time at the end before exhibit setup to fix any problems that may occur, whether this is possible I wont know till later on but it is always best to set realistic goals and try your best to reach them then have no goals and nothing to aim for.
Today with a group of fellow makers we discussed as a group with Jon our ideas for the projects that we are seeing through to completion and the progress with them. breaking it down into individual projects I summarised that :-
- Bams medal was now in Craft in the Bay but I am hoping to redo a second pour next term and have at least two cast medals in exhibition, I have spoken to Pip my head of year and Dallas that runs foundry and they are both happy in redoing the process providing it is organised in advance to ensure their is enough material left for anyone else who needs it.
- The Light project at this moment in time I am looking to make the final piece but I am not sure whether I want to go forward and enter the piece for the competition aspect mainly for confidence but more workload and deadline balance. How this will work for marking I am not sure and will have to clarify more next tem but I am hopeful this will be okay.
- Work Experience was great despite circumstances not going my way, having experience in industry was really beneficial and I hope in the end of year exhibition to show these areas of development as a continuing portfolio of work and have outcomes that highlight what I learnt from the placement.
- Faking it was really positive and the set is getting its value time wise and so far is set up for in three different display areas one of which will be down in the bay so there will be two pieces of my work in exhibition in the Bay in April wahoo.
- Make your mark ideas are minimal at the moment but I am looking to get in contact with artists to discuss ideas and such and bring this back to portfolio work, whether this will work or not I am not sure but its in its early days so fingers crossed things wont go to wrong along the way.