Today as well as getting my dissertation results the maker collective had photos taken off work within the photography studio for our degree show catalog as well as the online version. The resin tests and green glass bowl were selected and the below results are some of the best photos from the collective.
- Love the shadow effect but the glass frit seems difficult to focus perfectly on the camera and lighting.
- Again love the shadow and look but the glass frit for whatever reason does not look clear on the photo
- Love the look and shadow effect of the piece but the edges and the clean look of the resin are under par.
Having completed one side of my business card in the sense of a logo and a list of social media accounts I wanted the other side to be a complete focus on one of my pieces. The pieces that have been photographed look great but they are not 100 visually stunning so I am concerned about how they would look to someone who picks up the card to potentially buy work later down the line as first impressions are the best.
Next week I’ll print off a test of each photo with the business card details and see what the first impression is. Then from that send off the results to either Vista print or Moo and see how long it takes and will cost to get the cards here by the 12th May.
Today I got the results of my dissertation submitted in February. My results showed that I had achieved an overall grade of a low 2.2 on the 50% mark which is essentially 1/3 of my known degree results. What this means or rather how this will effect anything remains unknown until subject and field are marked summatively. I’m not disappointed by the results as a pass is better than a fail and at least part of my possible grade average is already known.
Speaking to my tutor Martyn he stated that the problem was in two areas that ultimately decided the grade result. Basically, I needed to have more detail to back up the findings of the maker side of the dissertation and this would solve the problems of the structure which was the other note. Speaking to my tutor he was really pleased considering as the artifact was one of the most philosophically interesting he had and if the maker side of dissertation was backed up more I might have had a 70% mark which would be a 1st, however the algorithm that gives the final result is difficult to understand so if I can get my other two areas into a high 2.1 result I could be able to walk away with a 2.1 but this is something I will discuss with my tutor, Ingrid
As with any individual running a business or being a sole trader a business card is a hugely important aspect of marketing. Business cards are naturally the most obvious means of identifying a person or company to what they do or the services they offer.
Because of this business cards are overlooked and discarded more often than kept due to the high volume of the market. So if you want to be remembered you have to go above and beyond and make the business card more likely to be kept.
For my business card I wanted a simple clear logo that will go on one side of my business card and on the other side all my personal details such as social media links and such and perhaps a sample of my work from a high quality picture that can be on either side or both of the sides of the card
With the help of a fellow maker friend I decided on this logo using the initials of my name KB and what I consider myself a Designer Maker and perhaps on the other sides the market my work fits into, although in time these business cards may alter as naturally work and the direction of development alters the work you wish to show to the public.
Vista Print is the only company I can think of at this time but I will do more research over the time off to see what options are available.
Like all previous projects formative assessment comes with a meeting to discuss the projected trajectory based on the work that has been seen, what has been discussed and what is the roughly ideal result. Due to this being the final year of Maker these results are the most important results I will ever get compared to the degree qualification. In the third year the results of Subject, Field and Dissertation are combined together to give the grade and qualification I will receive overall. So far based on the formative marks I have been given which are subject to change so in any case, they can get higher or lower this is what I have.
Subject (50-53) Lowest grade point of a 2.2 grade also known as satisfactory results
Field (47-49) Highest grade point of a 3rd grade also known as Basic results
Dissertation (unknown until May but predicted based on formative assessment to be at a 2.2-2.1 average) (pending result)
This was the feedback I was given in regards to my exhibition feedback.
As there is currently no finished work the indicative mark not a reflection on potential.
There is a concern here that the simple elements that are successful in the work are not being exploited, the work seems to gain ever more complexity both visually and technically. You need to move away from such technical complexity as you are struggling to achieve the outcomes that you intend and time is running out.
Focus on what is working well and what you know you can achieve, there is potential to work with the delicate leaf patterns if you can keep their form…try using resin. They lose their fragility once they are fused onto glass. Resign blocked could be easily turned into elegant up lighters exploiting the beautiful qualities of your frit leaves. Look at the work of Laura Thomas.
It is important that you move from testing to completing finished artifact… this will help with your confidence and also help with your time management. Fusing you beautiful experiments in the resin may be all that is needed to bring this work to fruition.